Homemade Oatmeal Bars

April 30, 2012

in Food, Recipes

Let me preface by saying I love oatmeal, granola and/or any kind of peanut butter type bar.  One might say I’m addicted to them.  I eat them for a quick breakfast along side a banana or apple or simply enjoy one as a pre or post run snack.  There are also many good ones to choose from and I have my favorites that I’ve shared with you many times.  The problem is though is that most are rather expensive to keep in my pantry and especially have the luxury of having more than one a day, but they are also hard to find in my area so I run out pretty quickly.

But I’m thrilled that I have found a solution to my dilemma!  I’ve seen many recipes of similar homemade granola bars, but I’ve tested several variations and have tweaked my own version to my personal liking and taste.

Homemade Oatmeal Peanut Butter Bars

Wet ingredients:
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 T honey
1 t vanilla

Dry ingredients:
1/2 cup quick oatmeal
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup chopped dates
2 T ground flax

Warm the wet ingredients in the microwave for about 30-40 seconds….

….and add to the dry mix.

Mix together and form into about a 1/2 inch thick rectangle.  After mixing I poured this out onto foil so it would be easier to work with and shape accordingly.

Slice into bars-this recipe makes six bars (4  x 1  x 1/2 ).  You may also roll into 1 inch balls or even smaller bite size bars-whichever you prefer.

These are packed in snack size zip bags and ready to go!  <3

Each bar contains approximately 157 calories, 5 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber.

Hope you’re having a Happy Healthy Monday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

1 jen April 30, 2012 at 1:47 pm

these look great. i love any combination of oats and pb and have recently started making my own bars. i’ll have to give this recipe a try!

2 Carolina April 30, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Having a great Monday! Slept in late after working 12 hours yesterday. Went to the gym and had a great workout, and planked for 1 minute, twice! Posted on blog and enjoying having the girls home from school. Thanks for the recipe. I’ve been looking to making my own bars and these look yummy! I’ll let you know how mine come out.
p.s. how long do you think they will keep? do you think they will freeze well?

3 Samantha April 30, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Sounds like a wonderful Monday! Can’t wait to hear how you like them. Freezing may work?? Haven’t thought of that. I only made 6 bars so between my husband and myself I’m thinking about 3 days is a good start. Will let you know as I find out. :)

4 Libby May 1, 2012 at 5:02 am

Yum! Thanks for sharing this recipe!! The bars look so good!

5 Samantha May 1, 2012 at 11:20 am

Thanks Libby and thanks for stopping by!

6 Kathy May 1, 2012 at 8:23 am

Thanks for posting this! They look yummy and easy – my favorite kind of recipe. Where do you find the ground flax seed and chopped dates?

7 Samantha May 1, 2012 at 11:21 am

Hey Kathy! I bought the flax and dates from Walmart! :) Thanks!

8 Angie @ Losing It and Loving It May 1, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Oh my these look awesome and like something I could even whip together. I have been adventurous lately with cooking (I don’t cook, hubby does) so this will be added to my list.

9 Samantha May 1, 2012 at 4:18 pm

They are really awesome and so easy to make. I enjoyed one today! Let me know what you think!

10 Angie @ Losing It and Loving It May 7, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Just tried making them and the 30 seconds in the microwave was too much, so weird and everything hardened lol so it was pretty much too dry to mix it all together and form. I added a bit of water but it didn’t help. I didn’t waste it though so I put it all on the foil and did the best I could, cut it up and put in fridge. We’ll see ha ha

11 Samantha May 7, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Oh no! You must have a nicer microwave than me…mine is a cheapie, low wattage one! hahahah! I’ve also warmed my wet ingredients in a saucepan on the stovetop too (on low) which also worked fine. Let me know how they turn out! :)

12 Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl May 1, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Yum! I have all the ingredients except for almonds. Must run out and get some. ;)

13 Samantha May 1, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Let me know when you try them! :)